Tuesday, May 4, 2010


So, it took me longer than anticipated to blog about our trip but it went great and I'm finally here to tell you all about it!

The adventure started, for me, on Thursday, my last day of work. It was definitely a day full of mixed emotions. I was in a bit of denial, and still am probably. It hasn't sunk in yet that I am unemployed and no longer work at what was the best job for me at that time in my life. I will add that the fact that my replacement called me 5 times yesterday to ask me questions did make me feel important :) But, alas, I had to leave the past where it belongs...in the past.

That night we had an event at Funky Blues Shack called "Bringing Down The House - 70's Disco Night", so I grabbed Ashley, my future sister-in-law and night town sidekick, and headed out for a fun night and was able to say good bye in disco style to my former co-workers.

That night, Josh headed into town and we began packing up the condo into the U-haul trailer the next day. Baby sat anxiously in the car, waiting to see what was going on. We had everything in the truck in time for the rain to start falling. Josh and I showered up and headed to Pensacola for his best friend, Chris', Army Commissioning. It was a lovely evening with friends and we are so proud of Chris and his accomplishments! Chris and his fiance, my good friend Taylor, both graduated from UWF on Saturday and they are getting married on May 28! Josh and I are both in the wedding and are so excited for them!

On Saturday, we corralled everyone together and hit the road. Our caravan consisted of three cars, a trailer, two dogs, Josh and his brother and sister and myself. Here the pups waiting to hit the road.

The trip took about 5 1/2 hours because of having to stop for two dogs, driving 65 MPH with the trailer and it started raining pretty bad. All in all, it wasn't a bad trip. We made it to Baton Rouge around 5:30. I'm going to be honest and admit that when we pulled off the highway into Baton Rouge, I had a pang of anxiety when it hit me that I just moved to a town I've only been to once, have no job and know no one here. But when I first saw the apartment, I wanted to cry of relief. Relief that we would be living in such luxurious conditions, relief that we have so much space, relief that everything we've been through the last few months were worth it, and relief that my man picked such a perfect place for us here! Josh whipped out a Heineken for all of us to enjoy to celebrate our arrival in our new home :)

Then....there was a lot of walking up and down 3 flights of stairs, a lot of sweating, a lot of heavy furniture lifting, and a pretty hearty appetite built up. So Josh treated us to his new favorite sushi place in Baton Rouge. This is the most amazing sushi I have ever had; everything is Louisiana-inspired!

More pictures to come on house decorating and Baton Rouge explorations. For now, I'm enjoying being unemployed, soaking up the summer and trying to get a lot done!

1 comment:

Rosalyn said...

It is so weird not having you right across the hall! Glad you made it safe and sound- can't wait to see pics of your new home. And I am totally offended you have found a new sushi spot... Juno's for LIFE! xoxo miss you ~R